My research interests are broadly in the area of geological history, and more specifically are aimed at understanding the dynamics of major past perturbations in the Earth’s physical and biological systems and their expression in the sedimentary record. I employ a range of laboratory and field techniques at the interface of stratigraphy, sedimentology, isotope geochemistry, and palaeobotany. Most of my recent research has focussed on the mid-Mesozoic time interval, but I am interested in the record of past events through the whole of Earth history. Current research projects include a multidisciplinary and collaborative study of mudrock genesis and diagenesis funded by Shell.
Selected Publications (Full Publications)
- Korte, C., Hesselbo, S.P., Ullmann, C.V., Ruhl, M., Thibault, N., et al. (2015) Jurassic climate mode governed by ocean gateway. Nature Communications, accepted.
- Percival, L.M.E., Witt, M.L.I., Mather T.A., Hermoso, M., Jenkyns, H.C., Hesselbo, S.P., Al Suwaidi, A.H., Storm, M.S., Xu, W., Ruhl, M. (2015) Globally enhanced mercury deposition during the end-Pliensbachian extinction and Toarcian OAE: A link to the Karoo–Ferrar Large Igneous Province. Earth and Planetary Sciences Letters, v. 428, p. 267–280.
- Ullmann, C.V, Frei, R., Korte, C., Hesselbo, S.P. (2015) Chemical and isotopic architecture of the belemnite rostrum. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, v. 159, p. 231–243.
- Ullmann CV, Thibault N, Ruhl M, Hesselbo SP, Korte C. (2014) Effect of a Jurassic oceanic anoxic event on belemnite ecology and evolution, Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, volume 111, no. 28, pages 10073-10076, DOI:10.1073/pnas.1320156111
- Riding JB, Leng MJ, Kender S, Hesselbo SP, Feist-Burkhardt S. (2013) Isotopic and palynological evidence for a new Early Jurassic environmental perturbation, Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, volume 374, pages 16-27.
- Ullmann CV, Hesselbo SP, Korte C. (2013) Tectonic forcing of Early to Middle Jurassic seawater Sr/Ca, Geology, DOI:10.1130/G34817.1.
- Korte C, Hesselbo SP. (2011) Shallow marine carbon and oxygen isotope and elemental records indicate icehouse-greenhouse cycles during the Early Jurassic, Paleoceanography, volume 26, no. 4.
Chair for the International Subcommission on Jurassic Stratigraphy (ISJS).
Member of editorial boards for Newsletters on Stratigraphy and Proceedings of the Geologists’s Association.